Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cats in the Cradle ....

"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,

But we'll get together then.

You know we'll have a good time then."


My son turned ten just the other day.

He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play.

Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,

I got a lot to do." He said, "That's ok."

And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed,

Said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah.

You know I'm gonna be like him."


Ok so i was driving home this evening from work after a hellish day at work and all of a sudden this song starts blaring out from the Landy's speakers. It was "Cats in the Cradle" by Ugly Kid Joe and though i had heard that song a million times today the lyrics really hit me and damn near brought a tear to my eye. For those of you whom have never heard d song its about this guy who was always working whilst his son was growing up and his son worshipped him, yet when he grew up he grew just like his dad and never had time for his dad cause he was always working.


So what? i hear you say ...well its just that when i was growing up my dad was chasing his career and we didnt see much of him as he'd leave before we got up and often get home late in d eve. I always used to think abt how come my daddy didnt come home at 5.00pm like all d other kid's daddies. I used to resent that but as i grew older and started working myself i realised and acknowledged all my dad has sacrificed for his family.


Now at 25 years of age i find myself chasing and trying to build up my career and its often me who's up before my dad and coming home later then him so its like i'm never there to spend time with him. Thats why the damn song really hit me today... its uncanny how similar to our story it was.


Thanks Dad for all u've done for me and d family ... I love you


No comments: